Sunday, July 16, 2023

July 16, 2023

Today was our first relax morning.  Our little lodge room in Winthrop had a balcony and I enjoyed watching a marmot for some of the morning.  Then we headed to North Cascades. (Well almost the North Cascades.  It felt like the North Cascades but was technically just outside the park.)  We stopped at Washington Overlook with a cool view of Liberty Bell Mountain. Then we hiked Maple Pass from the Rainy Lakes Trailhead.  We hiked counter clockwise which I would definitely suggest.  While my knees hurt like crazy going down the steep side, I think the views were better and we were able to add on Ann Lake which we never would have done had it been at the end. 

Maple Pass was amazing.  Mountain views for days! I loved this place so much.  Our lunch spot just before Maple Pass was incredible and is now one of my happy places. There were larches (don't get me going about coming back during the fall), lots of heather plant, mountains everywhere you looked, a lake, gray rocks, and the alpine environment I love.  Pictures did not do this place justice. Such a great hike!






No comments:

Post a Comment